Thursday, April 15, 2010

Light Some Incense...



So there has been a lot of controversy about Erykah Badu's new video "Window Seat" where she strips down completely NAKED for the whole world to see. The video begins with her walking on the sidewalk fully dressed but to everyone’s surprise throughout the duration of the video she begins to strip. The video was shot in her hometown in Dallas, Texas and the video ends with the singer being shot in the plaza at the exact same location of President John F. Kennedy’s 1963 assassination.

When watching this I was a little intrigued by what her motive was behind shooting a video such as this. To me I trust that Badu wouldn't have done this if there wasn't a creative motive behind it. I found it was harmless, imaginative and clever. Now if we took a look at the reoccurring stripping in most videos where women like Gaga, Beyonce and Nicki Minaj are shaking their asses and hinting at the most indecent messages, we could all say Badu's portray would be an act of mere innocence. I'm so sick of Gaga & Beyonce especially the video "Telephone" it’s not a bad song but the video is way to graphic for me. To those who haven’t watched it they both act out the most distorted messed up evil message I've ever viewed on television. Exactly what kind of music are they providing for the people in this generation? Are we trying to make the youth crazy? I'm SO inclined to shut off the t.v. immediately when anything of Gaga's comes on she gives me the creeps!


Anyways Badu has been one of my most admired artists ever since I was introduced to her music. I love the woman! I feel this was a very powerful statement for not only black women but women in general. There's something really eerie about the end where she is shot and drops instantly naked on the ground as the blue cartooned blood is released that spells out, GROUP THINK. I think this was the moment where she tried to aware the viewer of the mishaps of the world. Badu's statement was to make people think deeper about our existence. Many people hide themselves behind an artificial image because they think that if you release the naked truth about yourself you will be shot down. To some this video may be a hit or miss depending on how you think about it, you either Love it or you Hate it. Some however believe she did it for attention for her new album New Amerykah Part. 2: Return Of The Ankh. It's somewhat sad that our society couldn't get a clue if it was handed to them. Personally I believe her music sells itself, and other Badu followers would say the same. As Badu puts it, "I liberate the minds, then I go on home."


At the end of the video Badu explains the GROUP THINK theory:

"They play it safe. Are quick to assassinate what they do not understand. They move in packs. Ingesting more and more fear with every act of hate on one another. They feel most comfortable in groups. Less guilt to swollow. They are us. This is what we have become. Afraid to respect the individual. A single person within a circumstance can move one to change. To love one herself. To evolve."

No comments:

Post a Comment